I write web apps.
Since I was ~15, so almost half my life now. They (and I) have gotten better since my first attempts. I'm currently happily working with Ruby on Rails, React, and PostgreSQL, served with Nginx+Passenger on AWS.
- Started making games for fun when I was 11.
- Learned HTML, CSS, PHP, JS in mid-teens to make websites for my games, family trips, Harry Potter trivia bots, etc.
- Started college at 15. Graduated with a Computer Science degree at 19.
- Got a Big Corporate intranet developer job. Read a book, learned .NET, rewrote an Outlook plugin, wrote an AJAX library.
- Learned Ruby on Rails on the side. Quit to start my own company.
- Launched Coupley, journaling web app for couples.
- Launched Storyblue, writing software for novelists.
- Wrote Ruby on Rails apps and WordPress sites for clients.
- Started working with RTS Labs. Joined full-time. Started working with AngularJS, PostgreSQL, React.
I write code for fun.
I've always been interested in game development -- I fell in love with creating things on computers when I was 11, hanging out on AOL forums and discussing GameMaker and Hypercard. More recently, I've done a couple Ludum Dare 48-hour game jams, with great enjoyment and sleepiness.
Ludum Dare 33: Better than expected!
LD33 Source : I used PhaserJS here. Good engine, but the docs were confusing. Keeping scope under control made this a complete, if not spectacular, first-ever-game. Code was fantastically bad.
Ludum Dare 34: Unsuccessfully ambitious!
LD34 Source : I used PhaserJS as the engine, and used Babel so I could use ES6 features (classes!). That all worked well, I only failed in the 'build a fun game' department. Vastly superior to last, code-organization-wise.
When not writing code...
Richmond has a fantastic art museum. Anya and I go there whenever opportunity arises. They have a great restaurant where I found my favorite cocktail of the year .
I also like to hang out with my kids -- Imogen loves to read and is currently hooked on Code.org, which is awesome, Ira is into Star Wars, though he still calls Chewbacca "the bear" sometimes. I read: Gene Wolfe, Neil Gaiman, Iain M. Banks, Terry Pratchett (and of course Tolkien, Lewis, etc.).
In the fake sports category, I got into golf a few years ago. I play with my dad once a month or so on a Friday, since we're both off work. It's very addicting, and should be relaxing.
I listen to music – Radiohead, Belle and Sebastian, Libertines, Punch Brothers, whoever. I want to listen to more Beethoven.
Recipe: Whiskey Sour with a Red Wine Float & Maple Syrup
Ingredients (simplified recipe):
- 2 oz bourbon whiskey
- 1 oz maple syrup
- 1 oz lemon juice (half a lemon)
- 1/2 tablespoon red wine
- Shake bourbon, maple syrup, and lemon juice with ice
- Pour into a rocks glass with a big ice cube
- Pour red wine over the top of a spoon so it floats on top